Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Seafood dinner at a fishing village

I have been searching for a good seafood restaurant on the island of late, as I could hardly find a good  seafood restaurant these days (or maybe I am too picky with my tastes). Furthermore, I have not really had much time to do much exploring as well, as even weekends are packed with tons of activities.
Over the weekend, I stumbled upon a restaurant tucked away from the vicinities of the towns and cities; all hidden in a highly secluded fishing village. Well, we were also told by my a friend about this place as he was a resident nearby and he just told my hubby to check the place out.
It was like discovering a gem; as I found the place and realized to my delight, that it was really a localized restaurant with a homey ambiance, right beside a huge fishing pond.



It did indeed have a very good environment, and I was eager to see what they had to offer on the menu.
Do not expect those extraordinary or city restaurants offerings, as this is local home-like restaurant run by a family.
At a glance, they seemed like they were very down-to-earth and not commercialized like the other more popular seafood restaurants around the island.







I liked how the drinks were served in a mug; which is pretty much like what we do at home.



Stir-fried asparagus with prawns and belacan (MYR10)
This was rather oily, and spicy but the asparagus were really crunchy and the prawns were just as fresh. I have to admit that I am a big fan of asparagus, and I really like the vegetable; whichever style it is prepared though this is usually the recommended style of preparation by most of the restaurants.



Deep-fried Mantis prawns with dried chilies (MYR10)

This is also another of my favorite dish; and it is really difficult to find the dish in some of the restaurants, though I am blessed that I could still find it at the local restaurants that I go to.
I find this version a little too deep fried and dry to my liking; and I think it was dipped into the oil for too long that it seemed to lose that juicy taste of the fresh flesh of the mantis prawns.



As there were only two of us, we contemplated on ordering a fish; but as his friend told him to try out this special style of fish which was not bad here, we asked for a smaller fish.
We opted for the tilapia fish; which was third on the list, but as this was the first time I have heard of the tilapia fish in Penang, we decided to just go ahead and order it.

Steamed Tilapia with Nyonya Style (MYR40)


The tilapia fish turned out to be bigger than expected, but I have to admit, the spicy and sour taste of the gravy did make this an irresistible dish. The price was slightly higher, but the fish was indeed larger in size too.
The gravy was indeed good, and made this a really memorable dish of the entire meal.
It helped that the fish was quite fresh too!~





I guess based on my first impression, the place was not too bad, but I think I would like to give it another try to try out more dishes before I could form a completely fair and unbiased opinion about the restaurant.
I do hope that it would be good of course, so that I could add it to my list of seafood restaurants again; the list has been lonely for a long time....almost void...

Looking forward to hunting and adding to my list of favorites soon...




No comments:

Post a Comment