Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Mini Abalone steamboat at home

The recent weather is a killer, really, and I thought I was pretty good in enduring the weather but I had also fallen helplessly with my immunity system, with first, the episode on the food poisoning (read here) and after the weekend, I was down with feverish chills and headaches. I was really tired and I think I have slept almost the entire day, hence there was no update yesterday, I am sorry.

I am feeling a little up to weather today, and hopefully it just keeps getting better tomorrow:)

After a series of vegetarian posts, which surprisingly garnered quite good responses (I still have a few to share), I have decided to share on something different today; something from home.

It was really simple, and more of a spur-of-a-moment thing when we decided to have a mini steamboat right at home on one weekend.
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

It was a really small affair, but I am a fan of steamboats, and when I heard that we are having abalones for steamboat, I jumped at that:) (I am a big fan of seafood, it should not be hard to guess that)

A glance at the really simple ingredients for the steamboat or hot pot, as you call it in other countries.

Assorted mushrooms
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
I've always liked mushrooms; all sorts of them, shittakes, giant oyster mushrooms, button mushrooms...and also the following enoki mushrooms.
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

Assorted vegetables (Lettuces, cauliflowers,cabbages, water convulvus)
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

For those who have never heard of it, well, it's basically a pot of hot soup where you prepare beforehand and then you have a bunch of ingredients/food (your pick of meat, veggies, seafood, vegetarian, whatever fancies you) which are raw.
The food will then be put into the soup when everyone is ready; where everyone puts in whatever they would like to eat and then wait for it to cook. Once everyone is done putting in the food, the lid on the pot is closed for cooking and then everyone waits until the food boils or cooks.
Simple, and this is really a favorite among the Chinese particularly during festive seasons, such as Chinese New Year in Malaysia, or during winter and cold weathers in other countries (Hong Kong, Taiwan, China, etc).

Of course, despite the association of the notion with festive seasons, there is no reason not to have the steamboat anytime of the year, especially if you live in the tropics, like me!:)

The main highlights; seafood and abalone
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

Alright, I am going to have to ask for a little help from those who cook, whether you can tell me the name of these whitish squiggly seafood which is really chewy?
It is a little like bamboo clams cross with scallops :)
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

The mini abalones, which came right out of a can (imported ones)
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
It may not be as gigantic as the ones you can get in Chinese restaurants which could cost hundreds per piece, but these still tasted good too:)

While waiting for the food to cook, we had some ready cooked tidbits like the fishballs and siew mai (pork dumplings)
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

That's the best part about eating at home, you get to choose whatever you like to eat and at anytime!:) Plus, it's healthier too!

*I am a little dizzy, but I am getting better, and if you don't see me around your blogs yet, do bear with me, I will be back:) *

24 comments:

  1. These photos are great! Sounds like a fun time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting approach to make steamboat in a rice cooker! Never seen this before. I guess its convenient, less messy and safer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting texture those whitish strips of seafood. I hope they tasted ok. They look very slippery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great comfort food! I'm sure you felt much better after this hot pot party :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:20 AM

    This looks like an amazing home cooked meal. Reminds me of home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some abalone for me please! Love the cosy environment.. having steamboat at hoe :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exciting time!! Those mushrooms are absolutely fresh adn yummy good to me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mini abalones? I never had a chance to try them...I love this kind of cooking...very comforting. YUMMIE! Have a wonderful week ahead Christy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "whitish squiggly seafood which is really chewy"

    The only thing I can think of is squid (sometimes called calamari), although if it's good and fresh (not frozen) it's usually not too chewy. Now I'm curious to know too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious and fun cooking Hope you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think those squiggly chewy things are razor clams -- I think. I love hot pot, this looks like a crowd pleasing combination!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maris, thanks!! and YEAH, it was fun...I enjoyed snapping away too:p

    ReplyDelete
  13. Three-cookies, oh yeah, it is!:) We used the rice cooker most of the time:p

    ReplyDelete
  14. Corinne, yeah, but they were really chewy and tasty too!:) Not that slippery though:p

    ReplyDelete
  15. Parsley Sage, hahahaha...as a matter of fact, we had this two weeks ago...way before my discomfort:p I don't think it caused the discomfort either of course:p

    ReplyDelete
  16. yummychunklet, yes, hehehe...it does because it IS!:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Food Glorious Food, Too late! All wiped out from the plates:p

    ReplyDelete
  18. Malli, hehehe..you sounded excited too!!:D They are they are...really fresh and yummy...I LOVE mushrooms!;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Juliana, Oh ya..don't you think they look really cute? out of cans...that is:p

    ReplyDelete
  20. Charles, nope, it's not squids though..:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Swathi, thanks for your concern..I am now:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fresh Local and Best, really, razor clams? Thanks for this bit of information, you're really the BEST!:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The at home steam boat looks real yummy, make me crave for some delicious hot pot! Hope you feel better soon, the weather and sickness doesn't sound like a good combination. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Jeno, I am getting better now:D

    ReplyDelete