Monday, May 23, 2011

A Hidden Chinese Local restaurant, Wan Fatt

Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
Nestled within a rather hidden location in Kajang, is this rustic Chinese restaurant or eatery outlet, Wan Fatt.
The shop is not easily accessible and is mostly known to the locals or the residents around the Kajang area, due to its secluded location, or so one may say.

However, despite its ready popularity among the locals, the restaurant's business further experienced an uprising spike as they were discovered by the local Malaysian TV programme, Ho Chiak (a prominent food programmed produced by the 8TV).

I can vouch for their popularity myself, as I observed the brisk business during the peak hours and one would have to wait in line for a table for at least half an hour.
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

Call us lucky, but we managed to find a place when we arrived!:)

Honestly, judging from the exterior/appearance of the shop, I would not really pay much attention to dining here at any time of the day, had it not been a recommendation by a close family friend who even led the way here.
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

The place was rather shabby, given its establishment within the row of makeshift-like shophouses.
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
The menu were on the wall and we were also provided with the menu booklet as soon as we were seated.
Another thing I dislike about the menu is that prices of the food/dishes were not printed. I have always had the perception that when the prices are not printed, it could vary and we may end up being overcharged for our food.

Well, we made our orders swiftly, and waited for about 30 minutes for our food (yes, it's that long of a queue!)

Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
I love barley drink!:)

Our food:

Steamed tilapia with special bean sauce (RM22 ~USD$7.33)
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
Talapia is a type of freshwater fish which can be found at reasonably low prices in Kuala Lumpur and Selangor areas and I was pretty surprised that they charged RM22 for this. (It's considered higher priced as I've tried this fish at only RM6-9; less than USD$5)
The special bean sauce, or Cheung Jing in Chinese, is a type of fermented bean sauce mixed with chili and garlic. It is rather saltish in taste, and may be slightly spicy depending on the amount of chili they include or how well you can take spicy food :)
It is one of the favorite styles for the talapia fish, and is appetizing when it goes with the white rice.

Deep Fried Pork Ribs in Two Styles (RM12     ~USD$4)
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
As the name suggested, the pork ribs were deep fried before being served with the two different styles.
The BBQ sauce style
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

Salad style (pretty much served with mayonnaise dressing)
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

Thai Style Beancurd (RM8   ~USD$2.67)
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
Sweet and sour sauce combined with the silky smooth taste of the fried beancurd makes this very appetizing indeed!

Braised Seafood in Sizzling Pan (RM18-20) (~USD$3-6)
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
The seafood consists of squids, shrimps, and fish fillets with sweet and sour thick gravy (combination of tomato ketchup sauce and chili).

Stir-fried potato leaves (RM8) (~USD$2.67)
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

All the dishes for dinner
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

The ambience and the location may not be desirable, but the food and service were still alright although I do feel it may be tad a bit overrated.
However, one thing I have to say is, they do indeed serve quite a variety of styles for each of their dish, which is a plus point when you just cannot decide what to have and would like to break away from the everyday dishes at home.

28 comments:

  1. hmm, where exactly is this ar? any address?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:19 AM

    The braised seafood looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. all that glistening, flavorful food--it's almost too much to handle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the great thing about Asia. We have so many variety of food we can pick and so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! Everything looks so good and so cheap...by the way, you can roast other nuts the same way that I did the almonds...although I never tried but one of the bloggers does with pecan, so I believe that will work for any kind of nuts. Have a wonderful week ahead Christy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ivy, it's not easy to find, but this is the address I have:

    Gerai Penjaja Lorong Belakang,
    Jalan Mendaling,
    Kajang
    Contact : 012 6566 553

    Maybe you can check with Kajang friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummychunklet, it was okay in taste, I have tasted better:D

    ReplyDelete
  8. grace, hahaha....is it making your stomach growling already?:p

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nami, yeah, exactly!! Asia is a food haven indeed!~ From Chinese to Indian, to Malay and Japanese, anything, and each cuisine already has so many different styles of preparation!!:D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Juliana, sure, thanks!!:) I am not a cook though, but I may consider learning one day..LOL;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lot of yummy food. Love that drink. Thanks for stopping at my blog. You have a wonderful space.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Al the food looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks great I want to try the barley drink

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an interesting blog. If I lived in Malaysia, I would so be referring to your blog every single day! I lived in Singapore for 6 months in 2007, and all these dishes look so familiar and similar. I loved the barley drink too! Wow... I miss Singaporean food, and looking at your delicious pictures didn't help! :p Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a good spread, it's overrated? hmm, you know most of the time I don't trust the food programs haha some of those that my parents have tried based on this program were pretty bad lol

    Thanks for sharing though! Will check back for more suggestions since I haven't been back for that long and am searching for new places to try :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous9:02 PM

    Wonderful specialties here, would love to try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous9:59 PM

    I love your pictures..
    you are lucky to live in a place that offers such a wonderful variety of dishes

    ReplyDelete
  18. swathi, you're most welcome and I am happy you came by too!!:D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Maris, well, at least most of them did taste delicious too:p

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rebecca, I love barley drink so much that I try to drink them everyday!! It's a plus that they are easy to cook too;) (alright, at least that's something I know how to make..LOL:D

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Harried Cook, thanks for coming here too!:) hahaha...if you continue coming back, I think you may be booking a flight to Singapore or Malaysia soon too...LOL:p

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jen, yeah, coz sometimes those food programs were sponsored or paid by the restaurants I think or it's just plain courtesy not to bash the restaurant if you were invited for a review:p

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. 5 Star Foodie, when are you coming to Malaysia? :P

    ReplyDelete
  25. thefooddoctor, oh ya, and it's considered a paradise not just for the food, but we are spared from disasters due to our geographical location as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Christy, I love your blog! So many yummy photos and such a variety of food (unfortunately the places you describe are a bit too far for me :-( but one never knows). Most of the dishes are complete strangers to me, but I would like to try them so much! Don't be surprised if I bother you one day for detailed recipes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Drooling! I LOVE places like this - just the look of it suggests a well-hidden gem. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mmm, this all looks incredible - especially the ribs and the potato leaves. I love looking at pictures like these - dreaming about things I'd fail so badly at if I tried to cook myself! :D

    ReplyDelete