Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Tiny bites of Nyonya Kuih

One of the unique part living in Malaysia is the variety of food we have here; besides the disaster factor - us being on a stable platform which keeps us away from the life-threatening disasters.
So, away from disasters, we have all sorts of food; coming from the different ethnic background and culture.
Even those local delights in the form of bite-sizes can already form a minor continent on their own!~

In Penang, these bite-sized food in the form of local kuih can also be found in another unique crossing of the culture known as the Nyonya.

Nyonya kueh are actually in smaller sizes compared to the normal variant of kueh; which was where the bite-sized food term first came about.

When Auntie bought some kueh for breakfast the other day,I immediately reminisced about those times when Mummy brought me to the kuih stall when I was a little kid of less than a feet tall and in ponytails with little ribbons flying in the wind:)
(look at the variety of breakfast we can have here in Malaysia - from nasi lemak to roti canai to noodles, porridge and even western breakfast, we can have even kueh for smaller bites!~)

Kuih Talam (Tray cake)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
This is a two-layered cake which are distinguished by the thin white layer on top and the thicker green layer at the bottom.
The white layer is made of rice flour and also a concoction of coconut milk; hence the white color (like duuuuh:p)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
And the green layer is made from pandan leaf extract; made into juice and I also found out that there was an essence of green pea flour as well (whatever that is)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

How to eat this kuih, my way?
I usually eat it 2 ways;
Number 1: I will peel off the white coconut layer and throw them aside.
Then I will polish the top and make sure there is no residue of the white layer left on the green layer.
Then I will start, savoring the nice green layer:D
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Number 2: I will bite my way into the green layer, carefully avoiding the white layer and then voila, i am left with the white layer which I will tactfully toss aside:)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Such discrimination to the coconut layer, I know...I am mean:p
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Then again, wonder why I am pickyeater? Found your enlightenment?:)

Hmmmm, I have to be honest, much as anyone loves the following 2 kueh, I am definitely not a fan (sorry!)
The Bingka Ubi (Sweet tapioca cake)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Apparently this kueh was baked; from the sweet tapioca itself and forming the sweet custard layer in the form of the yellowish portion.
There is a light brown crust-like piece on top of the kueh which was due to the baking process.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Anyone of you a fan of bingka ubi?

This, definitely I know is a highly populated favorite among ALL I know
Kuih Seri Kaya pulut
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
This was tri-coloured; different from the usual bi-coloured of white and blue kueh
This kuih is almost always accompanied with a serving of kaya (a concoction of coconut milk with extracts of pandan leaf)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Since everyone is a fan of sweet glutinous rice and sweet stuffs, I bet almost all of you are also fans of this (I am merely the photographer, I am not tempted!)

But this one, ladies and gentlemen is something I like and I can only find this in Penang, somehow!
The Steamed radish cake or known as Chai Tau Kueh in Hokkien
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
It is really tasty and the saltish taste with the sticky custard-like radish cake was really nice!:D
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Wait, did I forget the sprinkling of the peanuts on the cake?
Oh I did!!
But I did it deliberately...somehow it tastes nicer to me;)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

So with all these additional options for breakfast and tea and even for light supper, is there any wonder Malaysia is a food haven?
I don't....and that makes me proud of our culture...all the time;)

23 comments:

  1. Kuih talam definitely my favourite. Not wanting to know the calories when I eat it. Hehe...Oh ya, there is another version with rice one. That is also my favourite.. Hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Among these, I prefer kuih talam and kuih bingka. Unlike you, I'll consume both the white and green layer.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kuih bingka is one of my favourite...especially when it is more burnt on the top layer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:36 PM

    kuih talam is my all time favourite. where to get the most yummy kuih talam? u have any idea?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey cutie, no worries on the calories...actually all the kueh do not really rate that high on calories, so they are safe;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. little inbox, hahaha....everyone does that actually, but I can't take coconut milk based stuffs:p

    ReplyDelete
  7. ck lam, hehehe.....everyone loves more burnt parts becoz it's somehow more fragrant and more crispy:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. allenooi, hmmm, I am no expert wor....need to ask ppl...then I will let you know!;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh cutie, the version with the rice is the seri muka!:D

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love my kuih talam from SS2 pasar malam. although expensive and tiny, but its full of santan taste,damn good! can´t wait to eat them again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. lianne, hahahaha...need any of us to courier you the Malaysian Kuih Talam?:D

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh i love love love penang nyonya kuihs!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i like kuih talam too... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMGZ! All also my favourites leh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I prefer the sri kaya pulut aka. pulut tai tai, let me think of when I am young that time my granny always buy back for me when she visited bansan.

    ReplyDelete
  16. love nyonya kuih! that tri colored one looks unreal.. i want! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. jun, want some to pass around? :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. ling239, nice nice right? kuih talam oh kuih talam...hahaha, I should compose a poem on it;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. allie, ALL also your favorites? Hmmm....if I were to put all the nyonya kuih, will also be ALL? Hehehe.....that means Allie likes kuih kuih:D

    ReplyDelete
  20. steven goh, oh, don't all those different kuih just transport us back to our great childhood memories;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. cumi&ciki, hahaha....it was not edited at all ler....i can send it to you if you want;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh i love nonya kuih too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hie duckie, then I gotta get more to pass around next time....hmmmm, I do seem to know so many nyonya kuih lovers...:D

    ReplyDelete