Friday, October 03, 2008

Pour your Koay Teow Th'ng into your bowl!~

While it was raining like crazy in the beginning of the week, a dim sum breakfast is totally out of the question when even our regular dim sum place falls prey to the rising water level on the road (thanks to the great drainage system we have around here).

So, a bowl of koay teow soup made its way to the breakfast table, packed from this coffee shop in Pulau Tikus, on the same row as Bee Hooi (this one is directly opposite the church).

Pour out the koay teow (flat rice noodles), packed with all the accompanying stuffs like flossed chicken meat, vegetables, fishballs, meatballs into a bowl
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Now, pour in the soup slowly, hold the plastic bag tight and slant it to the side to allow the soup to flow to the bowl systematically
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Voila, you've created a little epic of Noah's ark in the Land of Koay Teow with your own bare hands!~
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Look at the fishballs rolling slowly to the slippery touch and gravity of the soup
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

While it's raining outside, enjoy the taste of hot food in your mouth and also the warming up of the stomach when the hot soup travels down the esophagus into your little tummy.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

For me, I always have my own popiah while he enjoys his bowl of Koay Teow soup
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Not trying to be a food critic, but this popiah has a thick skin and hence it felt like you were eating a flour-made skin instead of popiah.
Hmmm....a quick glance at the food dictionary, the name poh-piah is supposed to indicate "thin layer skin"
I wonder whether this is another case of mis-interpretation....sighs, communication and language continues to be a barrier in the world...
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Oh, the rain has stopped after Wednesday (not sure whether it is a good or bad thing, I am starting to miss the cool weather!)

16 comments:

  1. that must be a scene from

    from hand to mouth !

    to a soup of fullness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:43 PM

    Koey Teow Th'ng always called the food for sick people in Penang. Whenever you are sick must eat Koey Teow Th'ng. In KL, whenever you are sick must eat porridge. This is what my fren's said.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. love KTT especially Ipoh style!but must eat with chili padi lor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha...backstreetgluttons!:)
    Sounds very descriptive, from hand to mouth and fullness;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey email2me, that's what my mum said....KTT is always for sick people in Penang!!~
    Too bad I like neither KTT nor porridge, which is always a problem whenever I am sick...and it doesn't help when I don't have appetite either:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. beachlover...haha, ooohhh, in Ipoh it's Kai Si Hor Fun....and always accompanied by cili padi. But it's spicy...hehe:p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:05 AM

    I guess you haven't tried the Kimberley Street's KTT which also selling the braised chicken feet with mushrooms. Try it when you sick.

    Line what western people said, they always mention that when people are sick, they go for chicken soup. KTT is cook from chicken bones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First time on this blog. Emm..i like duck koay tiew thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hihi email2me & food promotions, erm...i am not a chicken or duck person...hehe, I am more of a seafood gal:p
    I, however, prefer fishballs...hahah:p

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:49 AM

    If you like fish ball, then you definitely should try this all fish ball noodle at http://www.foodpoi.com/2008/02/restoran-tien-pin/

    It is 100% fish ball noodles. It is very bouncy when you chew on it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey email2me, that's nice!~
    Thanks for sharing yea:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I almost fell of chair looking at this Koey Teow T'hng!!! I spent a lot of time in Penang, especially when I was younger. But this is my favorite dish in Penang. Oh my..I am so missing it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL, it seems like you are preparing recipe on how to pour the soup to koay teow to make it koay teow thng.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hehe....my mummy missed it so much too...haha, that's why I posted it for her benefit...and she's going to miss it even more..how evil;p

    One question though Cecil, did you eat this all time or when you were sick?
    Seems like Penang folks call it the sick food:p

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Steven, haha...that's the art of Koay Teow Th'ng!!
    Aiks, I can't cook mar...so the pouring story will create at least the pride and satisfaction that it was done without spilling a drop..YEAY!!

    Pathetic me, I know:p

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous2:12 PM

    Hello Christy,

    I enjoy reading your food blog. Are you living in Penang or KL?

    In one of your writing, you mentioned that you were English educated. Can one find an English instruction primary as well as secondary school in Penang? If yes, which one will you recommend for primary school and secondary school (for boy).

    Also, does a person need to know Malay in order to move around in Penang?

    Thanks in advance.

    Raymond

    ReplyDelete