Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Laksa with Crackers

I am a picky person; I AM.
I am not in favor of the usual that people delights in, some may call me unique (a better word for it) or just plain weird and choosy not to mention fussy!

However, one thing about me is, despite my picky preferences, I never do mention this to people because I do not want to create a hassle for people who wants to go to some places for their favorite food.
This happens commonly especially when I am with a bunch of people.

When my colleague suggested that we try a unique type of laksa, naturally I didn't object or raise any concern.
(We were in Bukit Mertajam already; and it was drizzling with soft patters of rain)

We came to this place; a rather isolated food court but the home to this famous Laksa
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Funnily though, this laksa's original branch was actually in Kulim (Old Klang Road) and yet the ironic part was we just came from Kulim.
*Smacks head*
My colleague explained that he just thought of it; and since he's a BM guy, he mentioned that it tastes the same as the original stall as this is run by the son of the owner.

Oh well...
There's 2 stalls operating as one; the main sells their signature Laksa and the one on its left sells Ice Kacang and drinks like Cincau, Asam, etc.
Prices are pretty reasonable here too
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

I never did like laksa for the scent of aroma; and also the inclusion of the Hae Ko that everyone liked. (Call me weird)
Fortunately, I noticed that there is a bottle of Hae Ko which will be included by yourself in the amount you wish.
Ahhhh, it's served separately:)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Besides the bottle of shrimp paste, I found another wide tupperware sitting on the table.
To my surprise, my colleague informed me that it's the specialty here.
He lifted the lid to reveal this;
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Fried crackers...

I look puzzled and he told me that I am supposed to take a piece of the cracker and put the whole piece into the laksa broth.
HUH?
I looked skeptical but he told me to just do it, give it a try, it will be different and so he promised.
So, skeptical me, just decided to give it a try for once
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Once dipped, it softens in the waves of the broth and that's where you gently use your chopsticks to break the piece of cracker into smaller pieces like these
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
It did taste unique and even nice:)
(This came from PickyEater)

My colleague laughed at my reaction and told me he'd never fail to have less than 5-6 pieces on each of his visit.
Interesting eh?

We also ordered the ice kacang; for RM1.90 only!
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Beware, if you're not careful, you may see your ice kacang sink or shrink before your very eyes while you are getting acquainted with the crackers in laksa.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

A really interesting tidbit for laksa, don't you think?
The original branch is in Kulim; anyone of you tried it before? (hope i am not the jakun here:p)

17 comments:

  1. Yes very different indeed but I think eating the cracke on its own would also be nice right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come the cracker look so much like the mee jawa's?

    hmm... miss those laksa!!!
    yummy~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me drool looking at the cracker in laksa.

    Btw, do you know the exact location of the Kulim branch?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm... never seen this version before...

    ReplyDelete
  5. laksa with crackers!!?? erm... ok... @_@

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is strange when foreign objects like papadam become an essential part of banana leaf rice and when de best Penang Rojak crack up with the loud prawn biscuits ( or issit tofu skins ?) now this thing ! we also wonder why soggy tofoopop is always stuffed inside "original" curry laksas. big becomes small may be good

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laksa with crackers!! never try b4

    ReplyDelete
  8. The laksa looks luscious, especially with the crackers soaked in it! But all the way to Bkt Mertajam... a bit too far for me

    ReplyDelete
  9. shionge, hehehe....I think so but it was better in the laksa, or so my colleague said:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. --kaiba--, mee jawa? hehehe, I don't know:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. allie, I am still trying to get the exact location and will probably cover it in my upcoming post. Stay tune!~:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. jason, yeah...unique:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. jun, hahaha....something new, eh?:D

    ReplyDelete
  14. backstreetgluttons, oh yeah....innovation:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. shell, it's really unique!~

    ReplyDelete
  16. 550ml, hahaha...yeah, it's really far, even for me:p
    I just happened to be there that time..haha:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Where exactly in BM?

    ReplyDelete