Sunday, October 12, 2008

Dip the skewer, LOK LOK

The Pulau Tikus market is well known for its line of hawker food stalls which took their place at sunset; after the retirement of the buzzing market hours in the morning.
One of the popular places for hawker food, this place offers more than just the usual Char Koay Teow, which by the way, is pretty famous here.

Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
The main attraction here; besides the Char Koay Teow is the Lok Lok; which practices the art of pushing food on a vertical skewer stick which you dip into the small little pot of boiling water like this
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

And then you dip it into a plate of sauce before it enters your o-shaped mouth.
There is often 2 choices of sauce in most Lok Lok stalls; the 2 typical ones found will be the peanut sauce and the chili sauce.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

By the looks of this supposedly peanut sauce, it looks more like 'oil' in sauce
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Their operation hours start from 6pm onwards and if you're there early, you stare at the empty plate with the baby fork
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Or the empty table with these wooden board panels sitting on the table
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Fret not, for within a few minutes...
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Now you see it, earlier you didn't
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

And you are treated to this wonderful view of all the interesting food filling the plates on the wooden boards

Vegetables and quail eggs
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Fresh and huge oysters
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Octopus
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Jellyfish
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Fried rolls with crabmeat
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

There's even green broccoli on the stick!
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Different types of clams
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Even cockles
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Looking really bloody here
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

And mantis prawns
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Hams
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Step 1: Dip them into the hot boiling water
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Step 2: Dip into the chili sauce
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Step 3: Push the food from the skewer stick on to your plate
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Step 4: Let them get to know the sauce a little
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Step 5: Put them into your mouth, like duuuh!

So, if you're there even at 6.30pm, the crowd is already starting to flocking the place.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Stay tune....there's a part 2 on the food in the Pulau Tikus market....

25 comments:

  1. Ooooo... i like i like... love having lok lok... but then also scared of diarrhea. hahahaha...

    Whenever i have lok lok i will have stomach upset, i wonder why. it's like hate and love feeling. hahahahaha....

    ReplyDelete
  2. lok lok there nice and famous already. I love the "ham" there and I used to dip for 15 seconds only. Cause dip for too long not nice and too short will become raw. 15sec is gam gam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, the selection for this lok lok stall is really quite extensive! been ages since I had lok lok..

    ReplyDelete
  4. i dare not eat cockles...scare the smell

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, this looks like fun... lots of good finds... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:13 PM

    The bloody cockles is my favourite...without them is not lok lok to me...haha

    ck lam
    http://www.what2seeonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the first place where I had my lok lok when I start to work in Penang. I was a bit shocked when I was asked to share tables with other people due to there were only 2 of us.
    Can't really recall the food taste d.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this place has the best lok lok. I love those bloody cockles too!! can't imagine going for lok lok without these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hie nkotb, I used to have that problem too...that's why I seldom go for lok lok..hehe:D
    In fact, I used to dislike lok lok at one point due to hygiene, but I like the squid balls;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahaha Steven, the art of eating si ham:D

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey sc, yeah....I was surprised at the variety too when my friend brought me here:D

    ReplyDelete
  12. hie shell, you're not alone....neither do I;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ck, that's what my dad said too:p
    Too bad not his daughter..hehe

    ReplyDelete
  14. allie, exactly!! That's the part I hate about this place...they practically and simply pushed ppl to your table without asking for your consent!
    Aaaaa....that's really horrible:p

    ReplyDelete
  15. duckie, hahaha.....all you cockles lovers are the same yea!
    No lok lok without them....can't say the same for myself though:p

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love lok lok, but always try to make sure I'm the first few customers...so that the water is still pretty clean and clear! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. hie mikky! Welcome here:D

    ReplyDelete
  18. hey wmw, SAME HERE...that's why i am there early!!
    I rather stare at the empty plate or looking silly than to dip my food into overly used water:p

    ReplyDelete
  19. Me too, I love lok lok very very much. It's been continously 2 weeks, I have my lok lok at Teluk Bayan food court. :P
    But I dun eat bloody cockles, too scary le...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hahaha.....for 2 weeks? Teluk Bayan...is it the one near the avenue sth sth or the bayan point area?
    Neither do I...I don't like them bloody stuffs....agree that they freak me out!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous8:55 AM

    me try that long time ago. miss the sauce. make me hungry while seeing your post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hie allen, hahaha.....is that in the middle of the night?
    They close after 9.30-10pm ohhh...:D

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agreed that Teluk Bayan's variety of sauce tasted better but surprisingly the PT market one pricing still is reasonable comparing that it's in the "rich man"'s area :P

    http://crizfood.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hmmmm...so much about the Teluk Bayan's Lok Lok now...hahaha:)
    Oh ya, Pulau Tikus's food is slightly a little high but not all fo them though:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like this lok-lok too but i prefer to be 1st at the table LOL. But I seldom eat at that stall bcos of the drinks served there by different stalls. My fav is the Indian uncle there for his teh tarik. I also missed the uncle who sells char bee hoon and bee koh moi cos he always late... :-(

    ReplyDelete