Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Grilled Kurau @ Bee Hooi Coffee Garden

Who in Penang doesn't know Bee Hooi in Pulau Tikus?
It is like the most popular and overrated kopitiam on the island, somehow, compared to the other 10 kopitiam on the island selling the same old variety as well.

Bee Hooi, like others, offers the popular Lam Mee (or was it Loh mee), Char Koay Teow, Popiah.
On one of my recent visit, I was seated right in front of the western food stall and it is definitely not possible for me to ignore the menu signboard which listed their specialties.
To my surprise, the Grilled Kurau topped the menu.
Wow, I don't know about you, but I have almost never seen a western hawker food stall serve Kurau.
(Kurau was like the Jimmy Choos for the grilled fish sets in hawker stalls (the way the high class Jimmy Choo is for shoes, the kurau is the higher end fish for hawker western food stalls), no pun intended. I don't even know how did the Jimmy Choo come about:p)
Anyway, I decided to order it; being the fish-lover and furthermore, the price tag of RM7 is not too demotivating either
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

It appeared to be sliced so thinly that I can compare it to a manila cardboard and the latter would still win; in thickness
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hmmmm, still, I can't complain too much about a RM7 Kurau right?

Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

When you're at a kopitiam, grilled kurau will not be all to order.
We tried the Pasembur as well (RM3)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
This tasted rather good; and there lots of crunchy and fresh sliced cucumber and mengkuang
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

And the Or Chien here is good; or better than the rest we have tried so far.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Priced at Rm6, it had the perfect combination of corn starch, eggs and huge juicy oysters.
Not too starchy nor too omelette-like, it was really nice!
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

So, anyone who doesn't know Bee Hooi?
For those who does, what is your most-ordered whenever you're here?

This place may be slightly higher-priced compared to other kopitiam, but then again, this is Pulau Tikus, right?
The Bandar Utama of Penang:)

15 comments:

  1. Oh Bee Hooi, the coffee shop is famous with Curry Mee 1. I tough all the while Jimmy Choo is a shoe maker? http://www.jimmychoo.com. The western food there is very nice too. I know some of my friends going there just to see the owner's daughter :) About the pasembur I havent tried that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too many to pick here - the usual suspects would be pasembur with the top hats, char hor fun, char koay teow, laksa and chicken rice! Those oysters have got my mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love the Oh Chien at Bee Hooi. The oysters are always so plump and juicy! I eat there without fail whenever I go to Penang.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agee, 7 bucks for that kurai dish is a really good price!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The plump oyster must be very juicy~~yum yum~~

    ReplyDelete
  6. hie Steven, no offense, but which girl doesn't know Jimmy Choo:p
    Hehehe....as I was saying, the Kurau is comparable to the high class fish served at a hawker food. Kurau is compared to the high class Jimmy Choo for shoes; Kurau is for fish...hehehe, got it? :)

    I didn't know how my Jimmy choo came about in the post though, sorry for the confusion yeah;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 550ml, oh yeah, remind me to tell you about my experience with them pie tees there...hahaha, I can never seem to use my chopsticks to hold them properly each time:P

    ReplyDelete
  8. hie bangsar babe, yeah....I also love the oh chien here;) You've great taste...hahaha....:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. cumi&ciki, without a doubt!! it's like a great bargain:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. mimi....oh yeah....juuuuuuiccccy:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jelutong market serve great pasembur too. YOu can add jelly fish into it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i can forget abt the fish and go to the oysters!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. hie allie, oh yeah...but the best has gotta be from Batu Lanchang Market;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hie ling239, exactly...the oyster stole the show:D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, i miss the Oh Chien so much, it is the best i have tasted so far, it is big, juicy, fresh, without fishy smell.

    ReplyDelete