Saturday, October 04, 2008

Sweet soups for sweet tooth

Fancy some sweet ideas for some soup desserts for a change?
You can try

Throwing in some red longans, lotus seeds and snow fungus to boil with rock sugar.
Don't forget some red dates for the aroma and as an enhancer for the sweetness of the soup!~
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
This is supposed to be a pretty popular Teochew dessert and they used to cook it on the first day of the Chinese New Year, for some pretty auspicious meaning which came with each of the ingredients' names.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Longan - which was pronounced Ging Ging in Hokkien/Teochew, will rhyme with the word Good environment
Lotus Seed - pronounced as Ling Zhi will be for the fertility reason, I don't really need to elaborate that much, right?
Red Dates - Ang Chou, will be in sync with the good which comes with every year

Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Snow Fungus and also gingko nuts are additional items you can add in for this soup....of course, for the Cantonese, it will be a different story if they were to add in Gingko nuts (Pak Kor) and to serve it on the first day of Chinese New Year....haha!~


Another different twist you can play about with the snow fungus is to add in some juicy citrus orange for a fragrant and excitingly sourish taste!~
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
This came from a shop we used to patronize on a regular basis in Taman Bukit Maluri in Kepong and the lady boss somehow always injects creativity into her desserts!
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
I totally love the orangey taste, with a light hint of sour and sweet taste alternately between the slurps...not to mention the fragrant aroma which came from the orange!!
Perhaps it's the orange, or perhaps it's the fact I just love orange:)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Peanuts in sweet soup
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Now, this is not the normal peanut soup which comes in thick and highly dense sweet soup which I practically call it the Chinese version of peanut butter - only that it's to drink
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
This was like the wheatgerm (Gandum) soup crossing path with the peanut in sweet soup.
If you have tasted the peanut in clear sweet soup (they call it Cho Tau Gin Th'ng in Hokkien), this is a thicker version and think Gandum taste mixed with it.
Mummy seemed pretty fascinated by the taste as she is a fan of the Cho Tau Gin Th'ng dessert!~
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Or you can still choose to opt for some conventional and plain dessert like the Black Sesame Sweet soup...nothing to shock you about and the taste, just classic..
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Though I never did like the black and the heat that came along with it...but then again, I can be ignored as I am a proclaimed pickyeater anyway...

My pick...I'd go with the first 2 options - Orange and Snow Fungus are good (YEAH!)

P.S.: Oh ya, in case you have a thought that I may have cooked up those above, ermmm...think again...remember I just started my barley lesson? *GRINS*

6 comments:

  1. A new twist of serving snow fungus with added juicy citrus orange...very refreshing. Wow..what would they turn up with next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah ck, I've even tried the version with apple...really nice!!
    Hmmmm...actually the apple was better:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:27 AM

    Never tried these! I'll have to see if I can get it anywhere in the states. Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hie candy, do let me know if you can find these there...coz it's pretty rare over here too...hehe:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like the snow fungus but you mentioned adding in citrus so I might just try it next time.

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:20 PM

    oh my god.... i like the peanut soup! my favourite!

    ReplyDelete