Thursday, January 10, 2008

Birthday Lunch

Initially, DearDear planned a special full-day event; with dim sum breakfast in Ipoh, then lunch in Cameron and a luxurious dinner in the capital, KL (my hometown:)
However, since it was only a one-day holiday, I decided not to exhaust everyone and told him I am okay with a simple birthday celebration on this little Pearl of the Orient:)

Okay, my wish was granted and we went around the island and he planned to bring me to Equatorial Hotel to enjoy a nice lunch at the most exclusive restaurant, The View.
To our disappointment, it was closed due to the public holiday (the only one that was closed in the entire hotel!!) Shucks:(
Poor DearDear then decided to go to Traders Hotel for a French lunch at also their finest restaurant; La Brasserie which was also the only one closed....sighs:(

Poor him, and he finally decided to bring me for a Western lunch at Kelawei 68, which we have been to before for their Brazilian buffet:)(when they were known as Brasil 68)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
I love the environment here and we were the first customers here; and the staff were really friendly:) (That made up for the whole day!;)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Quiet and peaceful with joyful Spanish songs sung in the background:)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Hot and tired but still cheerful!!:D
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
A toast to Jan 10!!:D
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

The set lunches here were pretty reasonably priced; starting from a range of RM22-RM39 and offering choices from spaghetti, fish, chicken, beef, etc which comes with soup, main, tea/coffee and also dessert. Sounds like a good deal right?:D
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Rock buns for starters....
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
When the waiter placed it on the table, it wouldn't stand and kept toppling to one side.
Finally, he smiled and told me, "It's a shell" (Hahaha....:)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
I was enticed by the plate which was slightly hot and also the presentation of just simple rock buns:)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Soup; creamy and milky basil soup
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
It was creamy but the taste was not too overbearing, and it was pleasant to the taste and it was definitely served hot:D
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Typically when we go for set lunches, I seldom order drinks as I will never be able to finish everything. Kelawei 68 had a wide selection of drinks from cocktails to fresh juices and even ice blended latte and hot coffee or lemon tea.
I flipped through the beverages menu and was really taken in by all the interesting concoctions and names they have:)
I saw one particular mocktail which was interesting and DearDear went ahead and ordered for me (despite my protest:p)
It's Cinderella:D
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
A concoction of fresh orange juice, grape, raspberry juice and grenadine syrup (RM12)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
It was great!! I loved the fresh juice and the blend with the fragrant fruits and syrup though it was tad sweet:D
But I really loved it....Cinderella really made me feel so special!!:D

DearDear ordered a Seafood Spaghetti (RM26)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
It came with loads of calamari rings, fish shrimps, clams(lots of them) and mussels and also a couple of dory fish fillets!:)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
He seemed to like the taste of it and I enjoyed the calamari rings and shrimps too:D

As for me, my birthday lunch meal was this unique Dory Fish prepared in this way which I couldn't remember the name:p (RM24)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
From first sight, it seemed like bread or croissant but when I took the first bite, it tasted like fresh fish cake!:D
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
I really loved it!!! Although slightly on the salty side, it really satisfied my taste buds and I loved every bite:D The fish was still preserved with its fresh taste but yet, it also had that spongy fishball-like taste:)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Another best thing about it is, it was not oily!!:D Every bite was just so juicy and PickyEater loved it (or was it, I was just so happy on my birthday that everything seems good:D )

I requested for the sauce to be served separately...
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
It was a unique grape with white wine cream sauce to be served with the dory and it really contained squashed grapes in it. Since I don't like creamy sauce, DearDear took to liberty to taste it and he mentioned it was a good condiment for the fish:)

For dessert, we were served a slice of plain cheese cake each:)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Again, another cheese cake for my birthday this year:)
Now if you are my friend or if you have been following my blog, you will know that I am allergic to dairy stuffs and I do not really like cheese (bummer for cheese-cake lovers, particularly my bro:p)
However, this year I have been getting cheese cakes for my birthday and so, I gotta try small bites of these cakes on my birthday:) (Big change huh:p)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Just a few bites; but the cake looked lovely with the furbishing:)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Needless to say, I enjoyed the strawberries and peach and DearDear helped to finish the cake:)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Total bill was about RM76++ I think but it was definitely worth it as we enjoyed our simple lunch here with the hospitable staff and the wonderful environment:)
DearDear wanted to inform them it's my birthday to get them to sing for me...hehe, and I told him not to...hehe, (embarassed:p)
Nice meal and I will definitely come back for the food:)

Remember to stay tune for more food pics and don't forget to check out the previous be-earlieth celebration as well:D

STAY TUNE....

8 comments:

  1. The Seafood Spaghetti looks soooooo good ~ ^_^
    why the fish looks so weird... is it fish paste ? @_@

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The creamy and milky basil soup & Seafood Spaghetti must be very NICE! Lovely~
    "HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:49 PM

    Happy Belated Birthday to you! Though I'm not a Cinderella, but would love to try the Cinderella drink cause it looked great with all the fruit juice combination~ Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Belated Birthday gal!
    it was a satisfying lunch!
    sure happy rite? ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, so many birthday celebrations!! Happy belated birthday to you!! I think you really had a great time!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:22 PM

    It's a nice place for good food!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seldom will I see seafood pasta so generous with seafood ingredients :)

    Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi everyone, thanks for all the lovely wishes!!:D

    ling239, the fish is made in fish cake style...tasted really unique!!:D

    bigfish, yeah....really nice;)

    cookies, really!! It was nice...I felt like a princess..hehe:D

    christine, yeah!!! Loved it...very very happy!!:D

    sugarbean, yes, I did!!!:D:D

    celine, I totally agree;)

    tigerfish, yups, the seafood spaghetti was really nice!!:D

    ReplyDelete