Thursday, November 22, 2007

Dim Sum at Ming Court

As the weekend is approaching near,I am once again filled with joy:D
I have had a tiring week and I have been sick as well:(

Anyway, I remembered that I have yet to post on my last weekend's trip to Ipoh for my friend's wedding and also our Cameron trip as well.
We left the island at about 8am and reached Ipoh at about 10.15am and we ended up in the town area. How can we not have dim sum in the famous Cantonese clad state?
We went to this famous and bustling Ming Court restaurant which my friends seem to love; a breakaway from my usual dose from Yoke Fook Moon which was located right across the road.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

It was really crowded in there despite it being a late morning (or at least it is to me:p)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

We found a table tucked away in the corner and the minute we sat down, the staffs here were really efficient as they approached and threw questions such as "What kind of tea would you like?", "How many people?", "Any porridge?", "Chee Cheong fun?"....PHEW!!! Endless of them....

Then there's staffs coming around and placing all the dim sum carriers on our table;; enticing our eyes on every single item.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
This is definitely one good skill as you will definitely need laser eyes to scan through the items and select or they may just end up telling you to take this, that, that, and leave them on your table. Race hour!!:p
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Shrimp dumplings (Har Kao)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Somehow, I still find Yoke Fook Mun serves larger shrimp dumplings which were also tastier (probably drenched in more MSG)

Shrimp and meat roll
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Dumplings
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Fried pastries
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
The ingredients were barbequed pork slices (Char Siew)

Jennifer ordered the porridge cooked with Century eggs and minced pork
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

The spread of food for the preliminary round
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

More deep fried stuffs
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Pork wrapped in deep fried beancurd sheet
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Plain old fishballs (Yu Mai)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Too soft and spongy for my liking:(

Radish cake (Lor Bak Kou)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

So much food!!!
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Out of those, I think I only had 1 shrimp dumpling and 1 fishball...hehe:)

Anyway, for a table to 7 people and so many plates of dim sum, the bill was only about RM61++; I consider that reasonably priced and cheaper than Yoke Fook Moon.

Btw, one question to Ipoh folks though; which do you prefer?
1. Yoke Fook Moon
2. Ming Court
3. Foh Shan

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:28 PM

    Oh I always wanted to try Ming Court but never get the chance to. grrr..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something I am longing to experience a dim sum feast :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only heard of Foh San but that place is always so crowded! There's also another one opposite the famous Ipoh white coffee Sin Yoon Long I thought of trying. Definitely will check out Yoke Fook Moon and Ming Court next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. U asking me, Ipoh mali.... well, we always frequent to Foh Shan, great place to have dim sum, freiendly and helpful. Ming Court, ok but they serve smaller size dim sum which is their signature. Yoke Fook Moon, always crowded, owner very snobbish, food quality dropped and can be very salty. There is also another dim sum in Ipoh Garden which is also good. We always buy frozen pau from Foh San to bring back to kl for friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't get to eat any dim sum when I was in Penang this recent trip because it was raining non-stop...now I see your pictures...I am hungry. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:20 PM

    Oh, you are lucky to have such enjoyment trip to Ipoh and Cameron Highlands. My last trip to the above 2 places were terrible in last June. Keep on eating and vomiting. Stomach problem, hai...

    ReplyDelete
  7. We haven't been to any of these restaurants for dim sum. But I suppose the price is quite reasonable. Gonna try it out next time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love that fried pastry but only when it's with red bean filling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:44 AM

    For me, I think Ming Court's servings are pretty small but quite good. Foh San's char siew bao a bit too dry for me, the others are ok. Yoke Fook Moon... everything were just average but I like their peanut paste "fah sang wu".

    ReplyDelete
  10. I only like Koa Li in Ipoh Garden, the one near the Shell petrol station. I think Jason shld know where is it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey tankiasu, no worries, there's always plenty of chances!:D

    Cynthia, you should really go try out a meal in the local Chinese restaurant in Chinatown then!;)

    durianberry, glad to have added another option to your dim sum list!;)

    BBO,I definitely agree with you on the comments for Ming Court and YFM (especially the snobbish part!)

    Rasa Malaysia, go go go...get your dim sum now:D

    jackson, hehe...I kinda like the wooden baskets ("longs") coz it's more dim-sum like:p

    celine, ooo...I also got car sick...weak gal:( It was tiring but fun due to the company of funny pals:)

    sugarbean, yeah...do try them out and then your turn to let me know what you think ya!;)

    meiyen, you do love red bean and fried pastries...:D:D

    Hi jason! (writing notes now)....noted noted, will keep the tips in mind!;)

    new kid, now I gotta find out where is this Koa Li....hehe....gettting bored of the same haunt everytime i am in Ipoh:p

    ReplyDelete