Thursday, June 09, 2011

Famous Malay Fish Head Curry@ Restoran Pen Mutiara

Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

This is probably a Malay restaurant that needs no introduction to, especially those who work in the free trade zone area of Penang, or is a big fan of curry fish head or all of the above.

Okay, maybe that's not so true, because I found out about this place from my boss who is a frequent visitor to this place and based on the number of friends/colleagues/subordinates he had recommended to dine here, I think they should consider giving him the VIP membership.

This place is located at the Southbay; which is all towards Batu Maung, and it all started from a shabby little stall under a tree.
Today, this little stall is a decently big restaurant, with full air-conditioning, a grand piano and ready to cater for weddings!

That was exactly what I walked into when I was there for lunch last weekend; a Malay wedding to commence in an hour.
We were led into the rear section of the restaurant as shown in the above photo and it seemed that the crowd was not that buzzing on a weekend.

It has been a while since I have had Malay food, but I am a fan of Malay food and being a Malaysian blessed me with the opportunity, not to mention the variety to enjoy a myriad of cuisines from different cultures!
That's why Malaysian is constantly cited as a food paradise :)

Ayam Masak Paprik (Stir-fried chicken in Paprik Style) -RM9.00
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
Paprik style is a sweet, sour with a tinge of spicy taste and it is quite appetizing, really. The gravy of this is made of sauteed chili paste.
It is quite a popular style of dish with the Malay food, although the origin is Thai (word Paprik).

Sotong Asam Kunyit (Stir-fried squids with Asam Kunyit) - RM9.00
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
The popular squid dish was the deep fried squids, but I was more intrigued with this; the Asam Kunyit which is a slightly sour taste due to the tamarind (asam).
Tumeric (Kunyit) was used too; which lend the dish its yellow color.
It was not a bad choice, I'd say! A quite unique taste and they were generous with the squids:)
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

Stir-fried Kailan (Kale) with salted fish - RM8.00
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
I am not a fan of salted fish, I tell you, but the Malay style of Kailan always recommend the company of salted fish. It was not too bad, which surprised myself:)

Now, on to the star of the meal, and the main purpose one comes to this place for lunch/dinner.

Kari Kepala Ikan (Fish Head Curry) -RM39.00 (3 pax)
*You may be surprised by the size of the claypot they use to serve the fish head, and probably thought you are in for a throat-cutting experience, but be assured that every order gets served that same claypot*
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
The whiff of the aromatic fish head curry, and you will forget about the size of the claypot.
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
Spicy aroma, steaming hot and flavorful just makes one tempted to try the taste of the curry immediately, even if you are not a curry fan (like me:p )

The curry is dense in its taste, but I found it slightly lacking in the thickness compared to my previous times. I don't think they slacked, maybe it was due to the busy wedding preparations:) (I am sure they do well all the time :)
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
With okra, and fish, I am not complaining, besides, this is one smokin' HOT curry :)

What could be better to cool down that chili heat (not to mention spicy taste) than a good glass of sour plum with lime juice (Limau Asam Boi), which, by the way, is one of their favorite drinks too:)
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
You could order by glass, or if you have more than two people, I'd say go for a jug!(RM10.00 - even if it's a little pricey)
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
The sour plum with lime juice just have everything you need in a glass, bursting flavor, coolness and refreshing in a gulp, and with curry, you'd definitely need a glass of this!

It would cost about RM20 per pax (minimum) to dine at this place, but that is just a rough estimate as it really depends on what you order from the menu.
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

It's not THAT hard to find this place too; if you're coming from the coastal highway leading towards Southbay (Batu Maung).
Take a left when you reach the end of the highway at the traffic light intersection and you should see the place (Take left at the fork)

Oh, in case you cannot finish your dishes, you can ask for the waiter's help to pack it for you to bring it home; they will be delighted to do so for you :)

16 comments:

  1. Everything looks so good I wish this restaurant was in he States!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet that fish head curry tastes outstanding. Great flavor I'm sure. Cute little squiddies too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tasted Malaysian food...but it looks fabulous! How I would love to try some of this exotic (to me:)) cuisine~

    ReplyDelete
  4. love all these yummy food looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the asam type at Pangkor Curry Fish head in Tmn Megah. Am a regular there. With their petai, tauge, honey crab and lala.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH WOW!!!!!!! Total mistake to check your post at 2am! My hunger level is maximum... You are so lucky eating this kind of food everyday.... DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's scorching hot at Texas right now, that Sour plum with lime juice looks soooo good! Too bad I am sitting in my office drinking hot tea, tears...

    ReplyDelete
  8. My parents LOVE fish head curry...!! I myself have never had the guts trying it, I prefer the more 'traditional' approach with chicken or beef ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maris, hahaha....maybe I should convey this to them in case they want to expand overseas:p
    OR, you could take a trip here to try it from the original outlet!;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Parsley Sage, it was one of the better ones in Penang, although I find them slightly diluted this time compared to my first time here:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lizzy, well, once you do try Malaysian food, you will never look back:D

    ReplyDelete
  12. torviewtoronto, yeah, they do taste great:D

    ReplyDelete
  13. A humble Taiping kaki, ooohhh, thanks, am jotting it down and I hope to visit the place you recommended :) Thanks for sharing the info;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nami, LOL...I don't really eat this everyday:p Hehehe....but these are accessible to me too..hehehe:D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jeno, awwww, poor you!! Put some ice into that tea!:p

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cooking Gallery, ooooh, my grandma had a special curry chicken recipe she used to cook up during celebrations/festive occasions like Chinese New Year and Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete