Monday, September 14, 2009

Eating at New Lane

One of the most popular tourist haunts to eat out is at New Lane which is an intersection along the famous Macalister Road in Penang.
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

It is no wonder, with the number of stalls lined up along the road and the two coffee shops which are facing each other on the side of the road.
Furthermore, Sunway Hotel is right smack in the middle of the lane and tourists who are guests at the hotel would definitely be spoilt for choices when they step out of their hotel.

I've been here several times, and I think I've blogged about this place once about the exorbitant prices and quality of the food during CNY.
Anyway, recently, I went there for a light dinner meal, so just post on a few stuffs I had and bear in mind, this is not a general post on everything in New Lane...there's only so much one can take at a time =)

If you have a sweet tooth and a heart for sweet soup desserts, you will be delighted to find that there is a Tong Sui (Chinese soup desserts) stall here, selling the simple Leng Chi Kang style of soups.
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
Combination of red beans, gingko nuts and lotus seeds in a sweet soup.

Oh my, this was extremely sweet; in fact too sweet for someone who does not have such a sweet tooth!
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
If you're into these desserts, you can try. It's priced at RM1.70-RM2.50 per bowl.

Penang Koay Teow Th'ng (basically flat rice noodles in plain soup with fishballs and shredded chicken slices)
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
This simple fare is found almost everywhere in Malaysia; but somehow most people still prefer the Penang version and found that it is more tasty here.
Why? I can't explain it myself...perhaps the title of the Pearl of the Orient had that hold on the attraction as well?
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
It only costs about RM2.70-RM3 per serving.

Another Penang local delight is Poh piah which is found in almost every hawker stall arena on the island.
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
It is not as dry as the version found in KL; in fact, this is what most people would call the wet version as it comes with light serving of soup.
Usually costs about RM1.20++ per roll; and minimum order of 2 rolls =)

I've yet to try everything but that will come into a compilation...personally, sometimes I find this place slightly overrated, but this could be my opinion alone.
What about you? What's the best hawker food you've tried here that beats elsewhere?

5 comments:

  1. i was told there's one very good popiah in Ipoh Gourmet Square... I've yet to try...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best Koay Teow Th'ng would be one with duck soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. warrr.. tough question! my opinion changes every-time, with changing tastes of the same dishes from the places i eat..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, there's also the Prawn Paste Chee Cheong Fun. I love Popiah too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, I didn't manage to come here when I went to Penang this year May.

    ReplyDelete