Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Seafood Steamboat @ Wong Kok, 1U

Enough about miserable food; here's to some nicer food pictures to satisfy the soul which made me wanna go back for more:)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Wong Kok in 1 Utama is one place that I've set my eyes upon for a while as I have been there several times but never did get the opportunity to despite my countless shopping trips there.
On one of the occasion that a trip was finally made to the famous Wong Kok located in 1 Utama (how ironic, names of 2 locations coincide in a single sentence - how an English teacher would frown at the legality of the grammar!~)

Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
The lighting was sufficient in the restaurant which exuded a rather bright and positive environmental greeting when guests enter the place.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Of course, the fact that there were windows lining the restaurant due to its location by the lakeside(sorta) and constantly receiving the solar energy did contribute to the brightness of this place.
Whatever the reasons, I am buying it as I do like brightly lit places...somehow makes you all cheered up!~
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Roger Kwok, staring up at my face on the table.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
The guy, famous for Ah Wong fame is the chain restaurant's endorsed ambassador and the reason why his smiling face is plastered all over the tables; on those posters meant as plate mats.

If you can see the bright atmosphere in the pictures, one of the biggest factor is definitely the strong solar rays out there and you will definitely agree that this ice blended smoothie is one good choice that you will pick from the menu as well.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Pineapple smoothie; priced at RM7.90 (can someone tell me why smoothies always carry a 90 cents in their price tag?)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
There were actually sago in this drink; colorless of course, due to the screaming yellow of the blended pineapple (or flavoring)
It was tempting and chilling initially; the gushing cool ice-blend liquid down your throat as it soothes the heat from the glaring sun outside.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
However, a warning for those who do not have a sweet tooth (like me), and also diabetics...as this drink contains too much sugar content which can definitely create that need to inject your insulin thereafter!

For a cooling and yet less-sweeter option, this bowl of herbal jelly (guai ling gou) with white fungus is a clear winner (RM5.90 - I still wonder what the 90 cents tag for all drinks/food are for...the labor cost?)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
It looks just like a make of a sunny side up...only that it's like black in the middle. Or you can imagine it as a lost comet!
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
It was really soothing and it was definitely the right choice for me to soothe my throat and yet feel fulfilled by this combination of a beauty drink:)

The new "in" thing in Wong Kok is the steamboat; and this is the seafood steamboat
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Priced at RM21.90, it's served in hard quality paper (this also seems to be the trend of modern steamboats - serving in paper as some kind of magic show? That the paper can hold the food/soup; that's really hot soup mind you! I find it some kind of mockery against the old-time magic trick that most of us had been seeing in our childhood magical performances....it's like "Neh neh, we can all do this trick too...much better than you....we can put our cooked stuffs into this paper, better than the magicians who can only hold water/milk!"
I pity all the magicians, you can no longer use this trick to fool the intelligent new generation anymore:p

Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
It was bubbling hot; with glass noodles (which I suspiciously weighed as more than any other items in the steamboat!)
There's also beancurd, vegetables, enoki mushrooms, prawns, fish fillets, squids, seaweed, and tons of wolfberries (I love them!)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

The side dish ordered was this Fried mushrooms and vegetables which looked really appetizing on the menu (RM8.90)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Boy, was I disappointed when it arrived!
Not only was it late but it tasted more like Oiled mushrooms and vegetables!
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Maybe it's me...but I didn't like the way it turned out (remember I am pickyeater:)

Overall, the meal was not too bad and the environment was good.
But one comment though; the service here is really slow!!~
I was really disappointed in how the staff took so long to respond - if the space is too large within the place, I suggest that they should look into implementing the bell system on each table to have a waiter/waitress respond to them in a shorter time.
Food for thought?

8 comments:

  1. the steamboat looks interesting, but portion kinda small right ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think Wong Kok is that good. Been to Wong Kok once and the food didn't leave me with a good impression, pastries look good though.

    I'd prefer Kim Gary or Hongkie over it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hie ling, yeah, portion is kinda small but somehow, just right for us:)

    mark, yeah...my first experience with wong kok wasn't that great and I haven't been there for years. This is my 2nd visit since the last 3 years and it's slightly better lar:p
    And yeah, I prefer Kim Gary too!~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really like Wong Kok food. Somehow I feel the things are pricey and taste is not great at all. I think they are trying to follow the Japanese style of steamboat method.
    This is call marketing - change the product a bit and call it a new product, but in fact it's just a normal soup noodle isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hie cutie, you're right - I also personally find Wong Kok on the average side.
    My first time at Wong Kok - the food was too oily and yeah, the price is not appealing at all:p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christy - The ingredients in the mini steamboat does look appealing and healthy.

    Btw...you have a great blog yourself and I have link yours to mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hehehe angie, the mushroom looks good to me! but yeah .. sometmes oily stuff do turn one off especially us woman lah, but when that happens, I will just order `char`and whack the whole plate up! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hie there ck, thanks....nice to meet you!~ Will keep an eye on your blog too...coz I know you update regularly;)

    Hie lianne, YEAH, exactly....and I have intolerance towards oily stuffs...just me lar...hyper-sensitive person:p

    ReplyDelete