Thursday, September 04, 2008

Penang Popiah @ Kepong Market

Kepong market is popular among the locals as the main and the biggest market. There is no wonder it is so packed with market-goers on weekends and public holidays.
In the midst of this hustle, there is one stall located near the famous soybean shop which carries the label "Penang Popiah".

Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
This stall is run by an elderly lady whose hands were constantly wrapping the thin-rolled flour-made skin with vegetables. This delicacy is a simple local version of salad and is highly favored in Penang.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
This stall claims to sell the version from Penang and the selling point seems to work as they did manage to garner a huge customer base among the locals.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

I do not know how you grade Penang popiah, but for me, I kinda find the popiah here on the mediocre and somehow, I still prefer the original popiah from Penang.
Psychological effect or taste bud effect?
I don't know...what say you, dear Penangites-fans-of-popiah?
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

2 comments:

  1. Dunno about Penang Popiah, but the egg skin popiah I had in Ipoh really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hie wmw, dunno why, somehow I still prefer Penang version:)
    The Ipoh version actually had some minced pork in it the last time I tried it....weird!:p

    ReplyDelete