Wednesday, September 12, 2007

An unpleasant experience

I had a rather unpleasant (maybe not that bad) experience at one of the restaurants in town the other day and I was rather bummed by that:( However, the good part was it was not that hard to resolve since the owner was quite quick to refund and apologized.

Okay, I was still wondering whether I should publish the name of the shop....hehe:p
Anyway, it was just a Chinese restaurant in town and these were just some pics of the interior
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Their menu,there was an interesting variety of choices of food
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

We ordered their Stir Fry Vegetables with Prawns; I shall say shrimps:p (RM8)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Not too bad; the vegetables were kinda juicy:)

Okay, the Sweet and Sour Fish...RM14 or RM16(which will be discussed later:p)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Not bad; but there were not a large amount of fish...though the texture of the fish were smooth.

And lastly, we tried their homemade fishballs with seaweed soup..(RM6)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
This was not too bad; although the soup was a bit oily with the garlic oil...
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
But the fishballs were kinda nice:)

Okay, the food was okay and the service was also okay (I think somehow the people in the area seems to be more hostile compared to other parts in the town)
We asked for the bill and paid.
I was slightly surprised with the total to pay though; RM33.50 as my calculation including taxes was supposed to be lesser than that.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
I took hold of the bill and noticed that the fish was charged at RM16.
I was surprised of course as my memory recalled that it was set at RM14 in the menu.
And mind you, it was a set/fixed price without any mention of market price or weight.
I wanted an explanation and we went back into the restaurant.

I asked the cashier who just stared at me blankly and then another senior waitress attended to me. She was pretty sullen and also unfriendly when I mentioned about the difference in the prices on the menu and our bill and just snapped,
"It was Garoupa fish we gave you and sometimes the weight of the fish fillets is more than that and that's why we charged extra"

I was not satisfied as this is no reason as these were fish fillets where the prices are always fixed and it is up to the restaurant to adjust the "weight" or amount to fit that price they fixed.
I explained that and she just gave me a look; then another waiter just brought the lady owner who attended to me.
I explained to her the situation again and she also explained that it was quite hard to get an exact weight and that sometimes the price will vary according to the amount they weigh.

We then told her that should be stated in the menu; or customers should be informed during the order and not to be surprised after that. After all, customers are not experts and only order according to the menu (unless you don't have a menu).
From Consumers' Association standpoint, we are right in every way as all we did was refer and order from the menu and we were obviously in the dark on their weight and fish knowledge.
Sighs....
She kept emphasizing they were not cheating and finally, the lady owner just refunded the money and apologized; saying that she will make amendments to the menu.
I was not fully satisfied as the attitude was not quite right.
It is not the matter of money; but just I felt it was so not right to say something in the menu and act otherwise, get what I mean?

Anyway, I do not want to elaborate much as I do know someone who is linked to this restaurant which have other branches on the island but with different names.
But sadly, I am not sure whether I will patronize again...:(

Moral of the story; do check when you make any order....:((

2 comments:

  1. Another branch of this eatery is located in Sg Nibong, if am not mistaken, right????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but they all sort of belong to different relative of the owner.
    The one in Sg Nibong is of a different middle name and that belongs to a friend I know:)
    I don't think that has any issue:)

    ReplyDelete