Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Braised pumpkin Tofu

This is not my first visit to the following restaurant; which is located inside on the grounds of a Chinese temple. I have blogged about my last visit here.

It is fast becoming one of the family's favorite place for dinner these days, and I noticed that we will be having dinner that several times (or whenever I am home :)

From the title above, you can see that there is one specific dish which will be highlighted in this post, so be patient :)

There is always, and I really emphasize on always a huge crowd no matter what time I was there; even if it was a late dinner at 9pm!
Yeah, we were late this round as I was stuck in a big book fair and as usual, I never realized the time whenever I go to book fairs and as a result, almost everyone was already starving (except me) and I cut my browsing short to go for dinner.

It was already 9pm when we reached there, but again, there was still a lot of people tucking into their dinner.
What pleased me was their prompt service, as we waited less than 15 minutes for our food!

Spicy Kam Heong style squids
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
I am posting a lot of photos on this dish, as this is the family's favorite, and the amount of gravy, onions, garlics and squids are just so generous.
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
The best part are the large-sized squids which were also fresh and juicy, by the way! YUMMY :)

Look at how big the squids are?
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

Moving on to the next dish...

Another of our favorites: Stir-fried spinach in superior stock (with wolfberries)
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

Braised pork ribs with spring onions and pepper
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

One of my favorites; and even Dad wanted this despite his sore throat (he momentarily forgot about his sore throat *laughs* )
Nyonya style steamed red tilapia
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

Finally, the highlight (yeah, I saved this for the last to keep you in suspense, LOL!)

Braised Japanese tofu served with pumpkin sauce
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
This was like a golden dish, and I loved the bright color of the dish when it arrived!
My mum recommended me this dish; and also for herself as she is a huge fan of pumpkin. I was surprised why would she recommend me as she knew I was not a fan like her.

Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
I was really skeptical about this dish, but I took a small piece and I loved the silky smooth texture of the tofu, and the sweetness of the sauce in it. The pumpkin taste was not too overwhelming nor too gooey, and it complemented the tofu just well.
This is definitely a very creative dish, in my opinion :)
(anyway, one pumpkin dish is enough, I am not ready to convert yet :p )

I foresee many more visits to this restaurant and maybe I should take more photos of the place the next time, to show you the crowd? ;)

14 comments:

  1. all dishes make me drooling, so yummy..and the tofu and pumkin dish, look yummy and is new to me..maybe i can cook this at home one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to take a break now and find some food in the kitchen. Feel very hungry now looking at all those delicious foods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aah, that squid looks so wonderful, and the tofu too especially. I'd never have thought tofu and pumpkin sauce would be a good combination... maybe I can try this one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks gorgeous. I am sure all of the meals are very yummy. Thanks for the nice posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally intrigued by that curry! Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sonia, you are such a creative cook, I am sure you will make a very good version of this soon...can't wait to check out your 'golden dish' :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Malay-Kadazan girl, LOL, didn't they warn you about reading food blogs on an empty stomach? :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charles, yeah, the squids are the killer dish!:p And I knew you'd definitely want to make this tofu and pumpkin dish when you see this post...hehehe :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa Hawaii, yeahhh, that's why we are constantly back for more goodies :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joanne, it's not exactly curry style; more like a cross culture style of spicy gravy which is spicy and sour at the same time, and just aromatic..lovely!;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not a big fan of pumpkin either, but the braised pumkin tofu sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. *smacks hi-five at Von*
    Yeayyy, finally i found another food blogger who's like me on the pumpkin topic..LOL:p

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are making me hungry...in fact...very hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. tigerfish, LOL!!:) Are you gonna try the pumpkin tofu yourself too at home?;)

    ReplyDelete