Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Kaya Puff from Taiping

On our road trip to attend a friend's wedding in Taiping a fortnight ago, we were recommended this local produce which is quite famous in the little town.

Kaya puff; or also known as Kaya Kok in the local language is basically a type of crispy pastry stuffed with sweet kaya paste.
(Kaya is a type of jam made of coconut, eggs and sugar and is basically known to the locals as Coconut Egg jam. It is used as a bread spread too; and is an alternative to the fruit jam or butter)
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
It is best consumed when it was fresh from the oven!

I took photos of the house where this was produced, but as they told me not to take any photo after that, I will not be posting the photo of the place to protect their privacy:)

Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
I forgot to take a photo of the filling, as hubby already took a bite and then finished it off :p

Kaya puff can be found locally in the markets, but they are famous in the state of Perak and two places that I know where you can get really good kaya puffs are in Ipoh and the above, Taiping.
Any other place you know?

16 comments:

  1. lovely pastry and a creamy coconut filling - I think I'm looking at heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love pastry.. especially with chocolate cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious, especially the filling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only tried the ones from Ipoh! They are really good when freshly made!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:22 AM

    Never heard of these, but they sound fantastic! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caked Crusader, it's a simple pastry but it's a local favorite!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loveforfood, hahaha, in that case, you'll have plenty of choices then ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joanne, oh ya, the filling is unique and we are proud that it's famous here ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. kitchen flavours, oh, I have tried those too, but I usually get when a day later, because friends traveled there and back :P They still taste good anyhow;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. sweetcarolinescooking, oh, no worries, that's what blogs are for, to learn about all the different things around the world;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks delicious! The pastry looks soooo good! My mum knows how to make kaya although it's not my favourite. She cooks and bakes everything under the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Baking addict, oh my gosh, you have an awesome mum!!!:)You are just so lucky, do you know that?:p

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmmm love coconut and this will be easily my favorite for sure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nami, hahaha, just wait till you actually taste it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Noooo - no photo of the filling! With a crust like that it has to be awesome! Bad hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Charles, LOL! I'll be sure to tell him you said hi...hehehe :p

    ReplyDelete