Thursday, March 01, 2012

My Travel Food Diary: Egg Sponge Cake

This is one of the snacks that I have found in the convenience stores; the egg sponge cake.
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
A good thing too; as it became the snack when I was traveling on the road.
It was quite difficult to find any decent food that I am not suspicious or skeptical of the hygiene when I was traveling (yeah, I am really picky when it comes to food)

On my two day trip with the tour group, I was quite surprised (not to mention dismayed) at the food quality we had at some of the places.
Alright, to be fair, the first day, when we were in Wuxi, most of the food were still quite acceptable, as you can see in my previous posts. However, as we move out of Wuxi to our next destination (I have yet to post in my travel blog), food was really, erm, let's just say, way below my expectations and you will see that in my upcoming posts.

Therefore, you can see why I am singing praises for this humble little cake which served me faithfully on my road trips.
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

It was nothing fancy; just a simple egg sponge cake with a light fluffy and soft texture of a sponge cake and yet was aromatic of the eggs used in the making.
I guess they used mostly egg yolk, due to the yellow color in the cake.

There is also a light layer of cream on the top, below the golden brown top which was quite aromatic as well.
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
I was not too fond of that creamy layer, and I felt it would do much better without it.
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

At least there was a comfort food, and the good thing is, it was quite cheap and costs only RMB3.60 (~MYR1.80)
A lucky thing to have this, or I don't think I could bring myself to eat the other stuffs.
Oh ya, thanks to my thoughtful mother-in-law, she also prepared biscuits, sweets and fruits to last us during the trip as well. A good thing to travel with the wise elders ;)

Do you also prepare stuffs when you go on road trips?

14 comments:

  1. I LOVE egg sponge cakes! I can defintiely see this getting me through a long road trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when I traveld last big time with backpack and all through the country...

    at least u found this sponge cake for some little comfort in between. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to get recipe for this one. Looks good .

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh dear that look sinful... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great sweet snack for road trips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joanne, oh ya, it is the best thing I've had on the road trip, LOL!:p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simple Person, yeah, exactly that!:D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helene, oh my, I really wonder how did you manage!:) I admire people who can do that, seriously;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Swathi, ooooh, I am not sure of the recipe:( I do hope you can find it and make it too :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Yum List, hehe, it is actually on the contrary; it was quite healthy;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. 5 Star Foodie, this is more than a sweet snack, it's also a good one to fill up when traveling :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I visited Wuxi quite some time back, remembering having some very juicy pears, bought from the pedlars outside the restaurant where we had our meal. Enjoyed the movie world tour too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks awesome! Is it just a sponge cake? Would be amazing in a rich better trifle. Yum!

    ReplyDelete