Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Food for a Party, and my special Fruits salad!

When there are times for friends, there are also times for family.
This is a long forgotten post that I have just found from my pile of photos; and dates back all the way to the last two months when we have a small dinner party, with prayers and blessings.
It was a dinner with our parish priest, and we are pleased to be able to host him at our humble home.

It was a simple meal really, and we just prepared a few things which we ran around buying from shops :)

Kuih Talam, a popular Malaysian kueh, made of saturated coconut milk layering the top of the sweet pandan layer below, before being steamed.
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
We got this from a famous Nyonya kueh stall; sold by an old uncle. These are so good that it usually gets sold out within an hour into the start of his business in the afternoon!

Mini cream puffs
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
There are two types of puffs here; one with sweet corn filling, and the other with the usual cream custard.
Both are equally good.

Colorful mini Sri Ayu cakes (These are my favorites!)
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

Slices of freshly cut naval oranges
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

The next one is a specialty; and probably the only thing that I know how to make; with a different twist.
Introducing to you...
Christy's Special Fruit Salad
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

This requires any number of fruits you like or favor; and you can dice or cube, whichever you like :)
However, do take note of the number of people you are serving, as sometimes, you tend to go overboard with the fruits (if you are fruits lover like me :).
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
There is also a special recipe for my sweet sourish dressing, and everyone loved it!:)

I forgot to take photos of a Kerabu Meehoon and also the Kentucky Fried Chicken which we bought; as seriously, you don't think we survived dinner with only the above cakes and fruits, right? :D

Our table Full of food!:)
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

I do love dinner parties, as it's fun, but the pre and post party; the preparations and the washing/cleaning up...not so lovable for me :p

19 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:02 PM

    This looks GREAT! I always make the mistake of making too many heavy foods for a party! I like that everything you made was light, tasty and all go well with the other! Thanks for the reminder that a light, subtle touch can be just as effective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I've never had sweet corn filled puffs before - need to keep my eye out for those when next in Asia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:24 PM

    Hi! mind sharing where did u get the sri ayu cakes and mini puffs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann, hahahaha...don't we all?:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rita, yeah, you should! Let me know, and I can tell you where to find them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous, it's at a market in Penang...are you from Penang?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that kuih talam looks delicious... I wonder if I can find a good recipe - I'd love to try making something like that. Looks so pretty too.

    All the food looks so good - sounds like you had a good party :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like your dinner party enjoyed a feast of a variety of delicious dishes! I'm with you about the washing and cleaning, though. Not my favorite chore, but I do enjoying the eating part. :) Thx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a feast! Thank you for sharing such a lovely party! I hope you are having a blessed week. Thank you for your kind words on my blog. They make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Was there dinner as well?:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Charles, I had, everything looks and tastes good!:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. food solutions, hehehe, at least you know them now :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cristina, LOL, they are the ones which take us back to reality after all the fun, right?:p

    ReplyDelete
  14. Monet, my pleasure, I enjoyed your blog, with all my heart :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Three cookies, of course! Those were the parts I forgot to take pics of :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. Christy...what a wonderful dinner you made! It all looks so beautiful. From the fruit salad to the pastries (yes..I could have survived on the sweets alone!) I love the cream puffs and would have loved to try the one filled with corn cream! All so pretty... : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks great..Hope u enjoyed a lot..New follower here..

    Do visit my blog too
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anne, I didn't make ALL of them! Only the fruit salad...LOL:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aarthi, Thanks for following my blog!:) Of course, I will visit you in return ;)

    ReplyDelete