Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Stir-fried silver needle noodles from home

Who doesn't think their Mum's cooking is the best?
The amazing part is that it always seemed to have improved by a hundred fold once you have been away from home...or was it just me?

Mum whipped up a simple dish of stir-fried noodles; using the unique Silver Needle Noodles, or also known as short rice noodles.
In Chinese, it is fondly known as the Lo Shu Fun (Cantonese) or Lao Shu Fen(Mandarin) -銀針粉.
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
For those of you who know Chinese, you know what the name directly translates to, but for those who do not, let me translate it for you.
The name, in direct translation from Chinese, means 'Rat Tail Noodles'.

Quirky eh?
Before you puke your guts out, don't you worry because it has nothing to do with the rat tail being made as a food as it is only due to the appearance of the noodles which resemble a rat's tail.
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
Do you think so?

These noodles are made from ground rice flour, and sometimes, as according to Wikipedia, cornstarch may be added to strengthen the texture of the noodles so that it does not break easily when it is fried or cooked.

I am not huge on these noodles, which resemble somewhat of a tail or even a needle; a really fat one, in my opinion.
Mum only cooks them occasionally, just for fun, although Dad loves them and she stir-fries the noodles with eggs, onions, and usually accompanied with lots of fish cakes, for my benefit:)
The noodles were also seasoned with light soy sauce to give it its flavor.

Besides noodles, I get a special treat of fish and this time, it is the steamed black pomfret with homemade fermented bean sauce.

Top it with plenty of spring onions, ginger, and onions for garnishing with perfect timing for the steaming process, and this keeps me happy throughout the meal!:)
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

A meal is never complete without vegetables and every Mummy knows that; and one of my favorites:
Stir-fried cabbage with carrots
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
Crunchy, sweet and juicy, this is the best and I prefer the lightest possibly way of stir-frying to maintain the crunchiness in the vegetables, the way I like with most of my vegetables!:)

A wholesome family meal; with a unique introduction of the silver needle noodles (no idea where the notion of silver came from, maybe the color? It's white though)
Do you like the sight of the noodles? (That's a trick question :p )
Would you give it a try, if you do not know the name..or even if you do know?:)

15 comments:

  1. Okay, now I'm jealous of you! I miss my mum's cooking. She's the Queen of Texas style breakfasts. So yummy. I've eaten those noodles loads of times but I never knew they were 'rat tail noodles.' Thanks for springing that one on me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:08 AM

    I love mom food so much! She's coming to visit me next month, so I'll be having her food round the clock. Glad you shared your favorites from your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh! Mom's cooking is always the BEST! I like Loh Shi FUn too! It has been awhile I last tasted them... yummm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Home cooking - haven't had it in a long time. My family live almost on the other side of the world from me:(

    Are you sure there are no rats tails? It would be difficult to notice:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow..that looks a different version to me,excellent one pot meal..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing like mom's cooking.
    The noodle look delicious.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mum sounds like an amazing cook and now we know where you get it from!Runs in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Parsley Sage, LOL...yeah, our mums are all the best!:) Wow, I didn't know these noodles are everywhere around the world too;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. yummychunklet, awwwww...that's great!:) Yeah, I have tonnes more from my collection...to share more soon;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. John, yeah, that's true...lots of people don't really like eggs...

    ReplyDelete
  11. FGF, maybe that give you the idea on what to cook for this week?:p

    ReplyDelete
  12. Three-cookies, awwww...don't worry, who knows you will in for surprises?;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. julie, hehehe....glad you enjoyed it:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mimi, I am so with you on that!!:D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maris, I DON'T cook!:)
    That's why you see me going to restaurants, doing takeaways and leeching from mum and aunt's cooking...LOL:D

    ReplyDelete