Monday, November 11, 2013

Spicy Tomyam and Prawn cakes

The recent cold and rainy weather reminds me of the piping hot and spicy soup; with the sweet aroma of the lemongrass, ginger and onions filling my mind and of course, my senses and the pictures just came floating in as though they were tempting me with the invitation for a wholesome meal with all the good food spread out on the table.

There is this Thai restaurant I used to frequent and is quickly making its way into my favourites; and I have blogged about it more than once here too over the last few years. In the last two years, I have seen them expanding to another branch in Bayan Baru area from their original/main outlet in Abu Siti Lane. However, early this year, they have closed down and their business has been taken over by another Thai family to operate the restaurant.
With the change in the restaurant management, it is only norm that the menu would also change in the dishes offered. I was surprised to see that not much has changed from the previous menu; hence that explains why I was initially not aware that they had changed their name or was taken over. However, the staples of the usual Thai cuisine are still essentially on the menu; such as Som Tam, Tomyam, etc.

Instead of the usual raw greens served as the starters, the new owners served us crackers at the side as well.
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

Prawn Cakes
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
One of my personal favorites when it comes to Thai; along with fish cakes or crab cakes. This is a rather nice version and I like the fact that it was not too oily here and the light frying resulting in the fair tone of the crispy crust. Another brownie point for the generous stuffing of the fresh prawns with only minimal flour to make the cakes and it makes this a worthwhile dish to order.

Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing


Another must order is their Steamed Fish with Pickled Plum
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

The reason this is so good is not because of the sauce/broth, but rather the fish itself which was bursting with fresh goodness! Trust me when I say it was fresh; as the flesh was so smooth and succulent that it was almost like tasting the silky texture of a beancurd and I am a fan of fish, and can be really picky with the way my fish; particularly steamed fish, tastes like or served. (yeah, it's all over my blog) I am all for the stamp of approval for the steamed fish here; in fact, Thumbs Up for one of the best I have tasted so far and it goes on that list.

A Thai meal is never complete without Tomyam, and I second that notion. There are choices of either the clear or red tomyam; and both are equally good, I must say, but the red tomyam somehow still always is scores higher - possibly due to the familiarity to many?
Seafood Tomyam
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
Love the aromatic scent of lemongrass and the chunky bits of fresh prawns, squids, and fish fillets with mushrooms, spring onions and parsley leaves just added to the exotic taste of this flavourful soup of our neighbouring origins. Best when served piping hot, and on cold rainy days...just perfect to warm one up. Ah, the cosy picture!

I have on one occasion ordered this; Triangle Salad
Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing
A combination of fish paw, nuts, dried shrimps, bird's eye, all tossed together with onions and is an exciting array of tastes and flavor. Not a bad dish to try, but I would prefer the other salads or maybe cakes? Good for snacks back at home

The restaurant still preserves much of Maa Roy Thai's interior decorations but it has since changed its name to Songkhla Kitchen. Like its predecessor, they only accept cash transactions which could be a little inconvenient for some patrons, but still worth a visit all the same.

With the dark clouds looming again, Thai food seems like a great choice for warmth and comfort...


No comments:

Post a Comment