Wednesday, June 06, 2007

70th Birthday Dinner

I was invited for a birthday dinner last weekend; a father's 70th birthday celebration...so nice:)
Okay, will skip all the long story and will move those details to other blog.
This will be mainly on food and food pics:)
The first dish; from the restaurant is the birthday bun (sau pow).
It is made in the peach-shape....a symbol of longevity.
Legend has it that peach is actually a rare and forbidden fruit owned by the Queen of Heaven; the Mother of the Jade Emperor in Heaven.
This fruit is meant for longevity and anyone who eats it will live an everlasting life.
Today, this became a tradition for Chinese birthdays (especially the golden ages) to spot this delicacy on the dinner table.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
So rosy :)
It usually comes in different flavors....red bean paste,peanut paste,and lotus bean paste; the latter being the most common in birthdays.

Look, a bite from the bun:)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
I don't really fancy buns, breads alike but since this was a birthday's bun and I couldn't very well turn down the host, I took a bite or two...teeny weeny bites:p

The first dish....as usual...is the appetizer; the Four Seasons (I think these had more than that).
So my guess is this could be named the Five Happiness (Ng Fook Lam Moon)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Sorry for the blurry pic:(
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com


Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Next, not braised shark's fin but it was the chicken soup.
Yup, it was the herbal/medicinal soup broiled with chicken meat and contains dry scallops and also Dong Guai...so "pou" (beneficial for the body).
Of course, me being a skeptic of Chinese medicine and also not a meat eater, I gently gave this a pass:p
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Third dish, yet another meaty dish.
The "Pat Pou Ngap" (directly translated as the 8 Treasures Duck)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Looks big huh?
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Well, the reason why it is a 8 treasures is because they included lots of stuffing into the duck; think there's carrots,mushrooms,yam,etc...I am not sure myself.
Didn't eat this; only got pieces of mushrooms...can't really stand smell of meat:p
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Finally, my dish...heheh!!!!
FISH!!!
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
There is another little gal who loves fish also at the dinner but she was too busy with the groundnuts on the table that night:p
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
This fish is a little hard; Siakap is not really the right type of fish to be served...I am not a fan of it anyway:p

Prawns....served in 2 style (so I call it the Yin Yang prawns)...a combination of cold and hot types of serving.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
One is the salad prawns (represent the cold) and the other is black peppered sauce prawns...
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Not bad; but I didn't try the salad ones; since I can't take mayonnaise:(
The black peppered ones were tad too oily but it was okay....and spicy lar:p

Next, my favourite also.....VEGE!!
And this happens to be my favourite one; the Braised Broccoli with Mushrooms, abalone and soy sheets.
I loved the broccolis!!!!
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
So crunchy and nice!!!
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
The little girl who loved fish was also amazingly a vege fan; man, she is really my pal:)
Too bad I was too full by then; I could only take 1 or 2 broccolis...:(

This is the carb dish...haha, the fried hor fun (flat rice vermicelli)...this was supposed to be one of their famous specialities (in that restaurant)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Too bad, too many people had tad too much and were stuffed dy....
I didn't take a bite:p

The main highlight of the night; HAPPY 70th Birthday!!!
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Nice cake....so green!
Chinese words on the cake; "Fok Yu Dong Hoi, Sau Pei Lam San"
Direct translation as in your wealth/happiness will be uncountable as the sea (wide without limit) and age deeper than that of the highest mountains or something like that:)
HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Last sweet dessert; the Longan with red dates, red beans and lotus seed...think it symbolizes happiness and joy:) (Too full)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

That's all, I really enjoyed myself:)

No comments:

Post a Comment